Clifton Observatory and Camera ObscuraClifton Down, Clifton
The Observatory stands on the site formerly occupied by a snuff-grinding mill that was burnt out in 1777 through having been over-driven in a gale. In 1828 the site was rented to Mr. West, an artist. He constructed the Camera Obscura and cut the underground passage to St. Vincents Cave. Both remain and are open to visitors. The cave's visiting platform may be seen clearly from the Clifton Suspension Bridge, set within the sheer 250 ft cliff face.
|These pictures show the viewing mirrow on the top of the Camera Obscura and a slide next to the Observatory which has been worn smooth by countless backsides.|
|Click on the arrow to go back to the list of Bristol Sights.|